Saturday, March 15, 2014

Blog Post #8

For this assignment we were asked to find some 21st century learning and communicating tools that are not covered in EDM 310. Due to my concentration being Mathematics, the two tools I found to be most appropriate were Wolfram Alpha and Khan Academy. Wolfram Alpha is a program that helps make "the world's knowledge computable". Wolfram alpha can be used to obtain answers about nearly anything but I am more focused on the Mathematics portion of Wolfram. This program can compute anything from elemtary mathematics, discrete mathematics, applied mathematics to graphing, calculus, and number theory. This program can be used to help students learn and understand math problems when they do not have access to a teacher. I think this tool would be best used for students when doing their homework. Wolfram gives step by step instructions on how the problem is solved. This program is very student friendly and is easily accessed.
The Wolfram Alpha logo with the saying computational knowledge engine
Khan Academy has been around for several years; however, it continues to grow and get better every day. Khan Academy's mission is to "provide a free, world-class education for anyone, anywhere." This tool offers information in regards to math, science, economics/finance, humanities, and even test prep. Of course I would focus on the math section. There are video lectures on math courses beginning at a third grade level and going all the way through differential equations. Khan Academy is a program that can be used by students for their entire education. While this tool is beneficial for students, it is also beneficial to teachers. Like I have said before teachers are not perfect and there may come a time when we need a quick refresher.

A hand with leaves around it and the words Khan Academy
As a math geek, at one point I believed all I needed for math was a pencil, paper, calculator, and a teacher to teach me. I am now realizing learning math is much more than that. In order for students to learn in a more efficient way they may have to use outside tools from time to time. And guess what? That is OK!

2 comments:

  1. Very well written. I have not heard of Wolfram Alpha until I read your post. I think it would be a great resource to help students. When I was looking for resources I also found Khan Academy. It is a wonderful resource for students. Both of these resources would be great for educators to use as a refresher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good! I used both Wolfram Alpha and Khan Academy to help me when I took my math courses here at South.

    ReplyDelete