Friday, February 28, 2014

C4K Summary for February

For the month of February I was assigned four students for our C4K (Comments for Kids)project in EDM 310. I had the opportunity to read and comment on student blogs from different places around the world. I was assigned students from Alabama, Nebraska, Missouri, and even Canada. These student blog posts were very entertaining and eye opening. The posts ranged from current events to words of inspiration. It was nice to read what kids at various ages were thinking about. For my first C4K assignment I read and commented on Alex's blog. Alex is in the fourth grade and his teacher is Mrs. Geldes. Alex's blog post was titled "Sochi Olympics 2014". He explained that the sport he found to be interesting was snowboarding. Alex acknowledged that because the Olympics were in Sochi, Russia there was a time difference and that because of the difference he got to watch some of the games. He then went on to talk about a particular snowboarder by the name of Jamie Anderson. He listed some statistics about her snowboarding career and some personal facts. Alex ended his blog by asking his readers who they would want to win the Olympics and what team they want to win. I replied to his post by first introducing myself and telling him where I was from. I then proceeded to talk about how amazing it is that he is so excited about the Olympics. I complemented him on explaining in detail why snowboarding is his favorite sport. Finally I answered his two questions and told him I wanted to see Shaun White and Team USA win. I have been waiting to see if Alex has replied but nothing so far.

My second C4K assignment was to read and comment on Brooklynn's blog. Brooklynn is a student from Saskatoon Canada and her teacher is Ms. Scott Lindsay. The blog post I commented on was titled "Keep Trying...". In her post Brooklynn gives what she calls a pep talk. She is telling her readers to always try. She explains there are things that you will never know if you do not try. In the post, she writes "People say 'don’t stop in till it is achieved' but as long as tried you know you have achieved something." In my comment after I introduced myself I complemented her on her enthusiasm for this particular subject. I told her that I completely agreed with her and that people should always try. I encouraged Brookylnn to continue writing inspiring posts like this one. I was lucky and Brooklyn replied to my comment. Brooklynn thanked me for my comment. She then went on to tell me about how there are people who still to this day try to end war and how war is wrong.

For my third C4K, I was able to read and comment on a students blog who goes to school just across the bay in Baldwin County. The student's name was not revealed therefore the student's blog was called Rainbow Skittles' Blog. Rainbow Skittles' teacher is Mrs. Miller and she is an EDM 310 graduate herself. In Rainbow Skittles' post "Text vs. Film" the student gives their opinion on which is better text or film. Rainbow Skittles writes that films are more enjoyable because it gives more details and does a better job of explaining things. The student also believes film to be easier to understand. In my comment I first officially introduced myself. Second, I complemented the student on explaining her position clearly. I gave my opinion on the topic of film vs text and I sided with Rainbow Skittles in that film is easier to understand.

For my final C4K, I was able to read and comment on Zack N's blog. Zack is a seventh grader from Missouri. The post I was able to comment on was titled "3rd Quarter Book Project". In the post Zack talks about how he did not finish his book by the deadline but he knew he needed to do something rather than nothing at all. He then tells his readers that all he did was stand in front of the class, introduce his book, and then made a joke by saying his project was only worth 2 points. He goes on to tell his readers that if he would have completed the assignment he would have used keynote to discuss the themes of the book. In my comment, I first introduced myself and then complemented him on doing something rather than nothing at all. I then encourage him to try and not miss any other deadline and wished him good luck with his future assignments.

Child sitting at a computer with the word blog written many times around him in the air

No comments:

Post a Comment