Sunday, February 2, 2014

Blog Post #3

Peer Editing has always made students moan and groan in agony. It was always that thing your teachers forced you to do and it was just annoying. As a student, I was never taught the correct way to peer edit therefore I hated doing it. Also I never knew how beneficial it could be. Peer editing should be taught at the early stages of school and implemented a lot more. Peer editing is an easy process that can help a student's writing tremendously.

After watching What is Peer Editing? I learned three easy steps to follow when peer editing. When you are given the task of peer editing it is important to give compliments, suggestions, and corrections. The number one thing to remember when editing is to ALWAYS stay positive. When editing a student's work one should never start with anything other than compliments. You never want the person to feel attacked or belittle by the way you edit their work. After giving compliments, you can then offer some suggestions. And remember a suggestion is nothing more than something for the other student to take into consideration. You should never force your opinion onto them. Finally you give corrections for things such as grammar, sentence structure, and spelling.

The adorable, hilarious video Writing Peer Review Top 10 Mistakes does a great job of showing people what not to do. Out of the ten mistakes they demonstrated I found being mean, pushy, and defensive were the worse. The other mistakes are important but these seem to be the most unproductive. Cutting down other students by being rude and hateful is not only going to not help their work but is going to hurt them as a person. As someone who is preparing to become an educator I hope that I will be able to foster productive and helpful peer editing in my classes.

A paper that has been edited by a red pen with red ink and the pen is laying on top of the paper

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree about the fact that peer editing, always seems to be something that students do not want to participate in or feel comfortable doing. I can't say that I really ever looked forward to peer editing myself. I can remember in my high school and even college comp. classes feeling under qualified to critique someone else's work.
    I think it is very important to teach our students to peer edit at a young age, so that they don't grow in those dreadful habits of peer editing as some of us have. I though the video was very cute, but very true to the situations that occur in peer editing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer, I completely agree with not feeling "qualified" to peer edit! I think that if we teach peer editing in the correct way we can eliminate this feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. C4C#3
    "As a student, I was never taught the correct way to peer edit therefore I hated doing it. Also I never knew how beneficial it could be. Peer editing should be taught at the early stages of school and implemented a lot more. Peer editing is an easy process that can help a student's writing tremendously."

    Yes, as a student I was terrified to peer edit someone else paper because I had never learned how to. I always enjoyed having someone else in my class peer edit my paper because it did benefit me dramatically. I agree that it is better to start out a younger age teaching peer editing to make stronger reading and writing students.
    Good job.

    ReplyDelete