Saturday, February 8, 2014

C4T #1

My first C4T (comments for teachers) blog I was assigned to was Ms. Turbiville's blog Walking In Mathland. Ms. Turbiville is an algebra teacher at Martist School in Atlanta Georgia. The first time I visited her blog she had a post about test review days. In her post "Test Review Day" she had two examples of review days and detailed schedules for each of the examples. Ms. Turbiville believes in a structured class rather than a study guide class. In my comment, I first introduced myself as a EDM 310 student at the University of South Alabama. I then proceeded to comment on how I enjoyed her post and how she conducts review days. I told her that the structure her classes held was something I admired. Finally, I left my contact information at the end of the comment.

Two graphing calculators sitting on a table next to each other. One is black and one is grey. They both have functions graphed on the calculator screen.


The second post from Ms. Turbiville's blog I read and commented on was "Friends, Vegas, and Probability". In this post it warns people about the controversy that can come with teaching probability. Ms. Turbiville writes that most activities involving probability are "games of chance" and can cause people to associate it with things like gambling. She then gives a link to an excellent alternative way to teach probability. The game is called Beano. Ms. Turbiville has everything needed to successful utilize Beano in a previous blog post. Also provided in the post is a comical example of probability. Within her post is a clip from the hit show "Friends". In the clip Monica is playing craps. Ms. Turbiville states that she would never use the example unless her students were out of high school; however, in the clip it presents an opportunity to discuss probability. In my comment I agreed with Ms. Turbiville about how controversial the topic. I also told her I loved her suggestion of the game Beano and thanked her for the wonderful idea.

A pile of dices that are all different colors

No comments:

Post a Comment